Sunday, February 6, 2011

Recipes: Fried Chicken, Pork Chops, and Lemon Sauce


Feb. 10, 1952.

Dearest Marie -

I have written to you but I have received no answer. So being that it is your birthday Tuesday I thought that I would write and wish you a happy birthday. I would like to see you a greeting card but I don't think I have any at the present time. I have hemmed 2 dish towels and did some fancy work on them. Now I am making a white apron which I intend to send you and excuse me that the gifts will be late for your birthday but hope I may send them when I have the apron ready. That is mail them myself.

As you see by the stationary I am still here. I wrote to Martin and Lottie last Sunday also my cousin Anna in Chicago. I have not heard from Lottie when Bob was here a month ago yesterday. Would you please write a few lines to Lottie to answer my letters. Thank you.

When I wrote to Lottie I sent her a recipe for beef soup and I hope she will send the recipe to you and please remind her when you write to her. Being that it is soon your birthday I thought you may want to prepare something special and maybe have chicken.

Lemon sauce.
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
Juice 1 lemon
1/3 cup whipped cream

Directions. Beat egg yolks slightly; add sugar and cook in top part of double boiler over boiling water, stirring until thick. Pour in melted butter, and let stand until cold. Add lemon juice then whipped cream.

Fried chicken.
Chicken should be rolled in salted flour, browned in butter, steamed slowly for 1 hour, hot water added, then cooked down low with the lid off until brown.

Pork chops
Should be rolled in salted flour and cooked in a deep skillet with plenty of fat. Then fried quickly to a rich brown, turned and browned on other side, steamed gently for 20 minutes.

Hope you will like the above recipes Marie.

There has been so much in the papers about the royal family and I have been reading what was of interest I thought. Have you read the news from England in papers out there?

Thank you again for writing that you give me permission to go to the city. I surely hope I may soon. And oh will you kindly write to your father to some for me as he said he would. Or call him by telephone. Marie if you write very soon could you send me 1 or 2 dollars please. Thanking you in advance. Best wishes. And please write soon.

As ever, Your Mother.

P.S. Please may I remind you to write Street or Avenue after Diamond.



No comments:

Post a Comment