Wednesday, January 26, 2011

If you want to go to college...


2507 Pierce St.
Omaha, Neb.
Sept. 20, 1936

Dear Marie,

I'm duly honoring you by sending the first letter I wrote on my new stationary to you. It sure is swell - a much better grade than my old stuff.

I just finished a letter to Jane Louise Dunkin, so it's pretty late now, but I just couldn't resist the temptation to try out this paper.

Miss Jelen says you were in the upper quarter of your class and out to apply for a scholarship. She said she didn't think you had to have taken the College Prep Course. I saw in the Tech News where Marion Wilke, Dick Percy and a bunch of others got scholarships. You were nearly as smart as Marion and you know it, so if you want to go to college, why in the Sam Hill don't you do something about it?

That was awfully nice of you to send me a piece of that cake you made, and I do appreciate it. I made some swell divinity tonight and I'll be so generous as to send you three pieces. Your cake tasted grand and I hope you think the candy tastes as well.

On second thought, I decided to send you eleven pieces instead, and even put some candied fruits in as well as some English walnuts and vanilla. That's more than we had in ours!

Mamma says for you to ask Garfield to please reconsider his verdict regarding the people upstairs. They are the noisiest bunch of hoodlums in seven counties, and take that from me! Mom took Garf's advice about taking a walk when then got too noisy and she even went up and sat in the bakckyard to get away from the din. The grasshoppers apparently, don't make as much noise. I wish, as does all concerned, that they would shove off.

Please consult Garf on the preceeding paragraph and answer accordingly.

I have, up to this time borrowed $3.90 from Betty to pay the dentist, etc. She is getting quite restless about the matter and I was wondering if you would loan me a little to pay her in part. If you do, I'll make it up to you doubly, sometime, in some way.

The dentist filled 11 cavities in my teeth and I had one so that makes 12. Talk about going to school, that guy went for 20 years and just graduated from Creighton last June. I paid him $7.50 altogether and I'm going back next Saturday for the last time to get the fillings polished off.

Have you heard from Elin since you sent her that little gift?

G'Bye
Lot -

No comments:

Post a Comment