Tuesday, December 28, 2010

You Just Have the Wrong Attitude


Lincoln, Nebr.
Oct 23, 1957

Dear Marie -

I have been waiting to hear from you. I wish you would take time to write a few lines and answer my letters.

I was going to write and let you know about my-self. On Oct. 7th 1957 the book-keeper who takes care of the books for the people I work for was here. I talked to her about my social security. And she told me that I could draw 30 dollars a month if I was unemployed. And $25.00 if employed.

Now Marie you said quite some time ago that I could come out to Arizona and I have been planning to come now that Frank is better I am glad to hear that.

Marie I could pay you for what you will do for me.

And something else I have cut out some aprons and one I have basted stitches on temporarily. That way it wouldn't be difficult to see how I wish the aprons sewed. And the one can be an example for the others. Now I would like for you to sew the aprons and hoping it isn't asking too much. I was thinking they could be Christmas gift for each of your sisters and one for you and my-self one. You see I don't have a machine to sew on here.

Take out the basting stitches a few at a time. The pockets are different and you could sew bias tape around them. You can sew the kind and pick out the pocket you like best for your-self. I hope you don't mind me writing that I intend to send you the aprons before asking you. But you are so slow in writing. It must be about 5 months since I heard from you.

I wrote and mentioned to Lottie that I would like a black fountain pen. This pen isn't very good.

I wrote to the Coast Guard but haven't received any answer about Martin. I don't think the Red Cross can help me as I had hoped they would. Have you any suggestions about Martin? I think you should have taken far more interest in Martin when Martin was with you and then living with Lottie. You should have talked things over seriously. Now according to the dictionary - serious means - thoughtful, grave in manner or disposition; not jesting, in earnest, as I am serious about this; gravely important, as we have suffered serious losses. I haven't heard from Martin for a long time.

Will you kindly write to your father to come to Lincoln as soon as possible please? It is important, something I wish to see him about. I thought that when I could come out to Arizona you could see how I get along in 2 weeks. That is what they said out at the hospital when I was there years ago now. Then if a patient got along all right they could stay on the out-side as the hospital people called it.

Now when I talked to Mrs. Leopold she said that she had heard from you, and that you said I would still be under the hospital. Why, was I ever surprised Marie about you. I could hardly believe it. You just have the wrong attitude. When I think of all the education you have and then how wrong you are in important matters. It don't seem to do any good to try and explain. I have wished for you to understand me better by the clippings. I have sent you or my point of view.

Oct. 7th 1957 the lady I work for said to me, "Quote - You have one son-in-law who is a lawyer and one son-in-law who is a minister. They are supposed to teach what is right." And I couldn't remember all she said but she can talk on that subject on and on.

I am so unhappy here so weary I can't keep the tears back as I write this.

When you receive this letter please write a few lines to your father asking him to come to Lincoln to see me. You know he may pay some attention to you when you write to him.

Let me know how you like the clippings.

Not so long ago there was an article in the paper about how people should sign for a person who was on parole. The article was by a Doctor.

Please answer as soon as possible and read over my letter as you write. Thank you.

I would like my freedom from the hospital.

The articles about the churches and prison are for Frank.

Please excuse me if I have repeated anything.

I will now close for this time.

As ever,
I am
Your Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment