Wednesday, December 29, 2010

So I can't iron this letter before I send it.


Omaha, Nebr.
Feb. 10, 1944

Marie -

I have written 1 letter and sent a card Tuesday but haven't heard from you lately. Why don't you answer my letter? I remember your birthday is Saturday so I thought I would write a few lines and wish you a happy birthday. When you were born it was cold and snow like we are having in Omaha at the present time. It began snowing last night and has been snowing all day it seems. I haven't been out doors at all today. This snow reminds me of a poem which goes like this - The snow had begun in the glooming, And busily all the day, Had been heaping over ledge and highway.

That is all I remember at present.

I wish you would send me that poem type-written. I thought of it after I had written the few lines about snow.

Have you had any snow in Chicago?

I am glad your father brought me some coal yesterday.

Last Friday Feb. 4th I went to the Creighton dispensary and then the following Tuesday had an X-Ray taken of my chest. Before I had the X-Ray taken I went to the T.B. association and received a letter. I don't remember if you have been there or not. I know Betty has. So now I have been through that. After I had been to dispensary I went to see the lady who has charge of family welfare. She has given me some assistance. I told her what your address was. I hope you didn't mind. Have you heard from her? Well I sincerely hope you can arrange to come to Omaha for good reasons. Just think it is now over 2 years since I began living alone. Do you remember? I am glad I have been able to have the elective light during this time. But right now my iron cord don't work. So I can't iron this letter before I send it. I'll put the letter on the table light and hope it destroys all germs.

Oh by the way have you called at my cousin's address. Please answer about this as I asked you in letters I have written before.

And please answer about those pictures you had taken out at Yakima Washington last September. I haven't received any of those pictures taken. And please have a stamp picture taken and send it to me this time. Marie you must have neglected to send your father any birthday gift.

Tuesday evening we went out to the Admiral and saw "Ida Lupino and Dennis Morgan in 'The Hard Way". It was really quite good and your father thought so too.

I read some time ago where Ida Lupino lives her roles. And that she has insomnia. Also has a great dane (dog). She seems so serious and oh she can certainly dish it out. In this picture also was an actress who could have been about my age. I heard somebody else say that they had notived how along all the late pictures there is some-one in the picture of an older generation. Oh yes that is perhaps to show the younger people how they may look at about middle age. No-body stays the same do they? But I heard one time that men don't. Well at any rate it goes on and on from one generation to another. Did you ever read or hear how France and Germany have had wards for the last 5 hundred years? Your cousin Joseph is out at Fort Ord, California. I gave Betty the address so she could write him a letter if she wishes to do so.

Oh there is so much snow in front of my back door I can't open it.

Oh your father told me the last time I saw him that Corrine H. was in the hospital. Had a baby boy but it didn't live. That was a case where it didn't take much brains to get married. The man she married had been married before and had one child.

This is from a story I read Quote "It is astonishing how little training or brains a girl needs to get married." Unquote.

Please answer me about the apron.

Did you ever stop to think you have to be reasonable what I mean is when you begin thinking things out?

You really should write your father after each time that you receive the money.

Have you asnwered Elin's letter?

I can hear the wind blowing to-night.

I must close and do I need to remind you to write?

As ever,
I am,
Your Mother.

P.S. Could you please send my mother some doughnuts? Thank you.

Friday Evening.

Marie -

I didn't send this letter yesterday so I will add a few more lines. I thought perhaps I would hear from you to-day.

I thought of a few lines of a poem and it seems quite the way I feel.

Lead kindly light amid th enclustering gloom,
Lead Thou me on,
I do not ask to see the distant scene,

The night is dark and I am far from home.
One step enough for me
Lead Thou me on.

Please correct mistakes.


And now wishing you many happy returns of the day.

Do you still have that pretty birthday card I have you back in 1940? It was pretty enough to frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment