Saturday, November 27, 2010

Death of Cousin Charles

Lincoln, Nebr.
Jan. 17, 1958

Dear Marie -

I wish to thank you for the book you sent about Arizona Highways. Also for the box of candy and green page and a few lines written by you.

You know Marie how I wondered why my cousin Anna didn't write. Did you hear from her at Christmas time? Well in case you didn't I will quote in part from her letter. Anna sent me a lovely Christmas card and within she wrote - To dear Ruth, and this in print on the card -

A Merry Christmas
and
Smooth Sailing
In The New Year

(signed
          Anna

Quote
"I have just not been able to get my-self to write to anybody. After the loss of our dear brother Charles. His passing was such a shock to us for never did he complain of any sickness. He was out "sturdy oak". Then all of the sudden, when he was helping in taking care of another sick member of our family, he got what seemed to be indigestion. After having it for several days, a Doctor was called and he was taken to the hospital and put under oxygen for several weeks. I think the illness lasted only five or six weeks, altogether. We sure miss our dear brother very much and have many periods of deep grieving." Un-quote.

Please write to Anna and let her know I have written to you and send your sympathy. You must have met Charles when you visited Anna.

I am intending to send you a few things and how I wish you would let me know when you have received any-thing which I have sent to you.

I am enclosing some elastic, you may use it to tie on a pencil by your telephone and tie the other end to a nail or hook. Then you have a pencil handy when necessary. You can use what you think is the right length and cut it off. I fixed a pencil that way for the lady I work for.

I had a Christmas greeting card from Mrs. Durand in Omaha. She wrote in part "We are sorry that you are unhappy in your work. Time is much more pleasant if we like what we are doing." Also "I'm sorry that Martin isn't more help to you."

Marie - "A family should stand by each other."

When we were living in Omaha I remember you asked Martin "If I should need help at some time you would help me wouldn't you? And Martin answered that "he would." Now if Martin understood what my situation was I am sure he would do as I ask him. To help me leave this place. I don't think your father heard from him at Christmas time.

Marie I was going to suggest something while I think of it. You know your father's parents pictures that were taken out of the frame? Well they should be put in a frame. I was wondering if you would care to buy one that has 2 separate frames for the pictures and send it to your father. It could be a late birthday present or else you could plan to give him the gift as a father's day present.

Please write soon. And what about the apron? Have you sent you sisters any apron.

No comments:

Post a Comment