Sunday, November 28, 2010

I have been here now over 11 1/2 years


Lincoln, Nebr.
May 31, 1965
1149 South 17th Street

Dear Marie -

Well first I should write that I returned safely from Omaha. I left Lincoln on a Saturday morning. When I arrived in Omaha I took a taxi out to your father's place and I think it cost $1.35 for the fare. After dinner we all went up to Blair to see my brother at the nursing home. He seemed pleased to see us.

The next day being Sunday I went out to Hilda's in the forenoon and had dinner. I had not seen her for some times and it was like old times and it was like old times to visit. Remember that picture which was in a colored photograph who was her grand-daughter? Well Hilda's grand-daughter is now 23 years of age and an R.N. out in San Francisco, California, when the earth quake happened. And that same evening he granddaughter called Hilda over long distance telephone to say how scared she was. Hilda's granddaughter is keeping company with a Doctor but don't intend to marry for quite a long time.

Well to get back to my trip I returned Sunday evening about 7 o'clock. Dora sent some green onions from the garden for Mrs. Schultz.

The other evening when I called over the telephone and Johnny answered - well it was a good thing that I payed for the call before I began talking.

You know I said that I wrote to Stanley about asking Elin to come this summer for a visit. Well I received a letter from Stanley's wife. And this is what she wrote - Quote "Stan received your letter, and we spoke to his mother and urged her to make the trip to Omaha. She didn't sem to have made any plans as yet. We offered her severeal suggestions concerning ways to make the trip, and she is now thinking about it. Stan's dad would like her to go to see you, too, so maybe we can all convince her to do it." Un-quote

Now Marie I was thinking of an idea and how would this sound? If Ray wasn't coming also why then couldn't Ray go with her as far as your place. And then come with Becky. I don't know how Becky intends to travel coming here. That is something I had intended to ask you over the telephone. The reason is that perhaps Elin wouldn't like to travel by her-self is the reason I mentioned this. If Elin could come with Becky.

Marie I hope I can talk to Dr. Palmer real soon and that I can be released from the State Hospital.

I wish I could be sort of organized at Randolph and visit with Elin and Becky and her family there.

Marie my friend Edna has been waiting for me for over 2 years now. I am hoping that what Lottie wrote and also your letter will be satisfactory. But I have to find out. Now in case I need more evidence I hope I can call on you and Frank. The social worker at the hospital said "I should stay close to my family." Well this is the nearest because I have known Edna since I was a child. Also the social worker said that the hospital would co-operate with Dr. Palmer. Now I wish to take all my belongings with me and Edna and a relative will come for me when I get permission. I am writing all this so there isn't any guessing about my plans.

Please keep this letter in a safe place so you can read it over later.

I wish to leave here just as soon as possible. I have been here now over 11 1/2 years and I am 75 years of age.

I wish you were coming vacation time so I could talk to you in person.

Hope you got the calendar with the clippings. When Becky comes I could show her what it is I intend to give her.

I will try to call you over the telephone next Friday evening., June 4th, 1965.

As ever,
Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment