Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Potters: "Of all the people."


Lincoln, Nebr.
Jan. 12, 1959

Dear Lottie -

I received your pretty greeting card and the check for $10 and thank you very much dear. Also the box of candy and silk stockings and I appreciate it all very much. Also thank you for the kodak pictures. I have placed them in the kodak book which you saw when you were to visit me. And also postmarked Jan. 3rd a birthday greeting card which was real pretty.

I heard from Marie, Elin and Betty but not a word from Martin. Also heard from Garfield and he sent me a scarf for my birthday present.

And I had a pretty cake for my birthday which I payed for my-self $2.75. The ladies upstairs had some of the cake with ice cream.

And what do you think? In the evening Marie called long distance to wish me (a happy birthday.) I talked to Marie first then to each of her children the oldest first then each in turn. Then I talked to Marie again. As Marie said it was extra special. And I was so glad to talk to them all you can be certain. Frank is now in Omaha and he stays part of the time with his brother and stays also with his parents. Marie said he had to give up his work. Didn't you receive one of those type-written annual Christmas letters from Marie? I am so pleased that Marie has moved back to her own house again. I hope she will find more time to write and answer my letters.

When your father was in Lincoln to visit me and about your letter. I read it out loud so he could hear and of - course Dora and her sister head what I read. I only wished to correct that you father didn't read it as you wrote.

I had a nice greeting card from Dora's sister. And what do you think about this? That on Christmas when Dora's sister was over at your father's house 6 of the Potter family were there also. Of all the people. Do you remember when we rented from them they wanted the last penny we owed them? And never were we all invited over to their house. I suppose the Potter's want to know all the news they can find out from your father. May-be you were too young to remember much about the situation when we lived on the Potter place where Betty was born.

Well Nebraska has a new Governor now. I am enclosing a clipping about him. When you are through with it and don't care for it any longer you may sent it on to Betty. Then Betty can sent the clipping to Marie. When you read the article you see how even a Governor may like to recall incidents about his parents and his home. I read where he and his wife have no children and that his wife teaches school.

I am going to send you a fruit cake, letter-opener and a handkerchief for each of your girls. I thought they perhaps were good enough to use for school.

You haven't mentioned how you like the clippings I have sent. I read in one article where "Nebraskas are not wealthy people."

Now back to the Potter's. I don't know if you remember the children very well. Lucile was the oldest. She married but has no children. Frank was next and he drowned not very far from his home. He was buried in a vault so Mr. Potter can go down and see him if he wishes. This according to your father.

Oh I sent you some papers not so long ago and I wondered if you received them. I sent them 1st class.

I will now come to a close.
Please write soon.
As ever,
Your Mother.






No comments:

Post a Comment