Sunday, December 8, 2013

I'll Never Go To College So I Might As Well Give Up My Teacherly Ambitions



Omaha, Nebraska

August 28, 1936

Dear Marie,

We received your cards not long ago on the same day and were sure glad to hear from you.

I'm going up the Tech about Wednesday or Thursday of next week and change my program card to the Secretarial course. I've decided the Art course isn't the one for me and I'll never go to college so why take College Prep and get out of school and work in the dime store or domestic work? Thelma Gaspar's mother was over the Pregler's the other day and said it cost about $900 a year to send Thelma to school in addition to her scholarship. At that rate I'll never go to college so I might as well give up my teachably ambitions. If you have any objections to my changing my course as previously stated, please write soon and tell me. I'll have to drop Cooking and Sewing too I think because it will cost too much for Sewing.

Toby gave me a plaid dress recently and I cut it off and put some sleeves in it to form a blouse. I have finished it, and am now working on a white skirt which is nearly finished.

I have been downtown twice for Toby and I got this stationary. How do you like it as well as the monogramming? The letters are my own idea. By the way, I got 18 sheets of paper and 18 envelopes for 5 cents each.

When I was downtown, I got 2 pairs of knee hi socks, a big Nursery Thyme Book for Martin and a sort of a History like book for Betty as well as a pair of sun goggles for Marty.

Does this letter smell perfume? Pleas don't say "no" at the expense of my feelings, for I'm doing my darndest to make it smell like the perfume Toby gave me. 

What are you plans for this fall? Are you going to college, go to work, take a P.S. course at Tech or keeping working where you are.

I received a lettter from Ruth Erkman the other day as well as from Sara Jane and Virginia McMillan. I called up the latter today from Pregler's and she said she was in an automobile accident and had three teeth knocked out. She is going to have some false ones bridged in soon.

Pa got some new glasses a while ago on a discount three Murphy's at Columbia Optical Co. This discount is OK (20%) for all members of their family - I am going to get some new ones in about two months when pa pays for his ($4.50).

Love, Lottie




No comments:

Post a Comment