Saturday, November 9, 2013

I have the best sister anyone ever had



Pierce St.
Omaha, Nebr.
Sept. 29, 1936

Dear Marie,

Thanks a million thanks two million for that dollar you sent me! I realize you had to work long and hard for that, I want you to know I appreciate it very much. I have the best sister anyone ever had and anyone I tell about you things I'm pretty darn lucky to have a sister like you.

I'm glad you're getting your teeth fixed. Did I tell you I have 12 fillings in my mouth? This dentist put in 11.

Well, you were wrong about your confidence in me, concerning Student Council. I was defeated. But, I don't think by very much because I asked several kids and all of them said I led in their home room except one. The vote in our H.R. was, Jean 10 - me 19. Not bad, eh?

I still have a chance, however, in Cogide. Alice doesn't want to, Grace is too busy, and Mary is on already.

I asked Miss Jelen and she was so glad to think you'd write to her. She wrote her address on "Silas Marner" and I left it in my locker. I'll write you a 1 cent post card tomorrow on the way home from school and send you her address. You'll probably get it the day after you get this.

Speaking of "Anthony Adverse", Mrs. Gearing said she knows a lady who read it in one day. That's no fib, either.

You know I was invited to Doris Richardson's wedding. I didn't go, mainly because I've never been to one and wouldn't know how to act. I think I'll wait until you get married, and then I can be maid-of-honor. I made a cute little note to send to Doris and it just took Mrs. Gearing's breath away, so she said. It was all decorated with wedding bells and spring flowers with some swell printing in black ink.

Enid Jorgensen invited me out for Sunday dinner but I didn't go because I decided to stay home. I'm sure glad I didn't go because it so happened that the lady she works for died Saturday night.

I don't know if I'll go to camp Oct. 10 or not. They said we have to bring Saturday's lunch and the price is still 60 cents. Tech has to furnish the eats for Saturday night's party, so all we get out of the 60 cents is our dinner and bed. Do you think its worth it? If I go, it will be only because I want to wear my new brown knickers.

I think I'll get a "1" in all of my classes except type. If Rye feels good, she may give me a "4", otherwise I'll get a "5" sure.

I saw Ruth Pfleager tonight, coming home from school. She was going home from work as a steno.

Well, I guess I'll close now, hoping to hear from you soon. Bring all your letters when you come next time.

Love,

"L"



No comments:

Post a Comment