Monday, October 7, 2013

Do You Sing Softly As You Send Your Babies To Sleep?



Lincoln, Nebr.
Sept. 11, 1949

Lottie dear - 

I will write a few lines as I am sending you a birthday greeting card. I hope that you received the card I sent to Roxanne. Two weeks ago I wrote to Betty and sent her a card also. I hope that Betty is with you at the present time and will stay and help you with your work as long as you need help and until you feel stronger. 

Have you heard from any of your sisters or Martin? I wish Martin would write to me. If you happen to know what Martin's address is I wish you would send it to me.

I sent my brother Garfield a card as it was his birthday the 7th of September. 

Betty is about the same age as Margaret Truman and only about 6 month's difference.

I read that in England they consider a child a baby until it is 2 1/2 or 3 years of age. And that they take such good care of their little children. By the way do you sing softly as you send your babies to sleep. These was a line in a baby lullaby song which went as follows - "And baby has fallen a sleep." Lullaby means - a song to quiet infants.

You remember surely when the song "On the Isle of Capri" was so popular. Well I read in Time magazine about Margaret Rose taking a journey to Capri and she had 3 chaperons. In the article it said "I don't think she's much of a threat to the other girls."

I wish to send you a sauce dessert and I wish you or Betty would let me know how it turns out. (1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, 2/3 cup light corn syrup, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup better, 2/3 cups cream, little sale, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and chopped nuts if desired. Put sugar, corn syrup, water and butter into a pan, stir well, then boil to a soft ball stage. Cool and beat in the cream, salt, and vanilla. Serve on ice cream or pudding.)

May I remind you to serve oysters once in a while for health's sake and the children may learn to like them. Hope you have a nice birthday cake and wish you many happy returns of the day.

Lottie I hope I may be dismissed now very soon and I am so lonesome. I surely have been very patient. I wish you would be kind to write soon and fine the fine and have the ambition. 

When you write describe the jumper for me but don't sent it as I don't need it. 

Best wishes to all.

I remain,
From,
Your Mother.

P.S. I wish I had some stamps.




No comments:

Post a Comment