Saturday, January 7, 2012

He has made progress in being self-supporting and holding a job.



Phoenix, Arizona
Dec 1, 1955

Dearest Mother,

Thought I'd drop you a few lines this morning before I get busy on my work of the day. It has been a long time since I've heard from you. I got to wondering if you had moved & may not have received my letter.

Mrs. Durand wrote that you had phoned her regarding your wanting to leave your present place. Have you asked your Social Worker if she can find you another job if the present one is not satisfactory? Martin is on the move so much that it hardly seems practical to try to locate with him.

Mrs. Durand indicated that you would like to have me accompany you to Seattle to locate Martin. Yesterday I got a note from Dora. It said, "Martin's new address is General Delivery; Norfolk, Virginia, but he expects to ship out soon as hard tell where he is now." So you see even if Martin has good intentions it would be difficult to organize one's life and situation around him. It would be a waste of money (which we honestly don't ever have) to travel so very far without assurance that satisfactory arrangements can be made there. Martin is still young. He has made progress in being self-supporting and holding a job. It may be that his next step will be to settle down and establish a residency. Do you write regularly to him? I think it might be well if you did.

The Durands are now living on a modest retirement income. They can not send us money.

Let us hear from you. We wish you the best this holiday season. I hope you can get out to some services and hear some of the lovely Christmas music. Also there will, no doubt, be some good television programs. The children are already making Christmas preparations at school.

Love,
Marie & Family



Included in the envelope:


No comments:

Post a Comment