Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Dressmaker in Lincoln


Phoenix, Ariz.
July 17, 1956

Dearest Mother,

It has been nice to hear from you several times lately in different ways. Quite a while ago you sent some papers with interesting clippings. You also sent a box with several things including a very nice dress from Lottie. Thank you for everything. The dress is too big for me too but perhaps it can be altered. It is far too pretty a dress not to be made good use of.

As something of a return favor I was thinking that if you find a dressmaker in Lincoln to make up the material you have I will pay you to have the work done. Why don't you try to find someone?

While we lived on Diamond St. I also received a special delivery letter from you. We were in the process of moving and I just didn't have the time to answer it. Moving is such a terrific job. The worst part of it is over now. We are well on our way to being comfortably settled. The bedrooms and storage space are quite crowded here but the kitchen and living room are a little larger than in our other house. There are so many people that come here everyday for one reason or another. I can see where we will be living quite a public life. It isn't quite like living in one's own home. But this is Frank's work and we can all have fun working in this community. The children have found some friends already.

It was good to hear your voice on the phone. I think I answered all your questions over the phone. Last Monday we had such a poor connection and my ears were so plugged up I had difficulty hearing. Under the circumstances I just don't think it would work out or be practical for you to come to Arizona just to have a dress made. I think my idea of paying a Lincoln woman to do the sewing a better one.

You mentioned wanting to go to be with Martin. This sounds like it ought to have possibilities. We girls are all married and have our families. Martin is all alone and has no one. If you get Social Security you would not be totally dependent on him. So much depends upon Martin. Is he ready to settle down in one place? Can he find steady work? I think it would be worth finding out.

Another possibility would be changing jobs if the present one is unsatisfactory. Have you looked into this matter?

I promised to send you a dollar to help with the overtime charges. I don't think you should call me so often. It is too expensive for you. I pratically never feel I can afford to make a long distance phone call. It is good to hear your voice though.

My ears are much better now. We are going to have a few days off soon and will be able to take just a brief vacation in the nearby mountains.

Please write again soon.

Love, Marie & Family

I also received your recent letters. Our new address is 4416 North 31st Avenue, Phoenix, Ariz.

No comments:

Post a Comment