Monday, September 12, 2011

Think of me - I never had a sister



Omaha, Nebraska
August 18, 1969

Dear Lottie - To-day I have lived here 3 years.

I received the postal card post-marked Oklahoma. Also letter and the clipping about Jackie. Then also invitation from Jacqueline and thank her from me. Also I don't have her present ready, but please write and let me know what her favorite color is.

I am pleased that you had enjoyed your vacation.

I will have to sew some more on the sewing machine to see about the stitch. I haven't quite finished the blue dress and thanks for helping me with it.

When you were in Chicago how I wish you could have gone to see my second cousins, you could have called me by telephone here and asked me about their number.

That was sad about Esther's sister passing away. She must not have been very old. I wrote to Esther August 3rd. I have a greeting card I'll send later. Has Esther returned to Phoenix yet?

How is your daughter Jill? It would be nice if she would live closer to you. Don't you think so too?

I am so disappointed that Marie couldn't stay 1 more day and grant my wishes. I had talked over the telephone about going out to Saunders County.

I have not heard from Marie or Betty since you all were here. I had a note from Martin asking if I had been to see your father? I haven't yet, it has been such hot weather here.

I wish Marie would move to Portland. That way you Marie and Betty could see more of each oher. You and your sisters have so much to talk about when you get together. Think of me - I never had a sister.

You know if a rather impersonal way I said to Jackie years ago that she should help you and I think, stay at home.

I also talked to Steven about the same way before he went away to California to attend college. Well you know how history turned out. Didn't your father used to say like pouring cold water on a duck's back?

I wish to thank you for all the different things you gave me while in Omaha.

Oh and would you do me a favor? Tell me about how it turned out when you all went to see Wiens. You know how careful your father was when it came to giving me any money. At present in Omaha a person can go and get advise in such cases.

Well you will have to write and tell me about the wedding. I suppose Betty will be there. If she comes would you mind lettering her read this letter? So why not put it in a good place where you know where it is.

Write soon.

I must close for this time. With love and best wishes.

As ever
I remain
Your Mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment