Monday, June 27, 2011

Eviction


May 16, 1947

To Whom it May Concern:

I have been notified that my mother, Mrs. Ruth Jensen, has recently been evicted from 2507 Pierce St., and that since that time has proved a problem to society. A suggested course has been that she be committeed to the Douglas County Psycopathic Ward and that my father, Lars Jensen, be appointed as her administrator with power to dispose of her belongings.

After thoughtfully considering the difficult problem from every angle, my judgments are as follows:

Knowing my mother & observing her throughout my life, I belive that there are two general areas in which she does not always display the ordinary reactions. One is in her attitude toward her personal belongings & the other is in her provisions for the future. Right now I do not believe that she is any more mentally ill that she has been for as long as I can remember. Being put out of the home where she has lived for most of 21 years is certainly a traumatic and humiliating experience for her, as it would be for any of us. Furthermore, I believe, this incident points up the "sore spots" in her personal adjustment, but displays nothing to point up the many areas in which she is perfectly rational.

I do not think that putting my mother in a mental hospital will solve the problem. If she is helped to establish for herself a home of her own where she can have privacy & a degree of security, I believe that she will not be a menace to society and will have the maximum amount of happiness. The two "problem areas" of her personaliyu will assume their usual place where they won't cause too much difficulty. Would any of us react "normally" if we were forced to go through the experience she has had, practically without friends or family?

If Mother is institutionalized I really fear degeneration. Realizing her personality pattern, what would be left in life for her if her belongings & her freedom were taken away? I do not have too much faither in the rehabilitation mental hospital programs as they are staffed & equipped today. Suppose that her property, which is , I believe, the basis of her security is taken away, how will she ever be able to assume a near normal place in society?

The result of institutionalization will be, I fear, dicintregration of Mother's personality and a long costly program for the county. Finding for her in Omaha a very simple home & working out an adequate plan of financing her existance, I sincerely believe is the most creative, adequate, rehabilitating, and Christian way that is open to us. My husband and I are willing to cooperate in such a plan.

Very sincerely yours,
Marie Durand

No comments:

Post a Comment