Thursday, April 21, 2011

Jill and Mark both play the piano. Not well, but loud.


July 12, 1958

Dear Marie,

Betty sent your letter up to me last week. It was so good to hear from you, but I can't tell you how terribly sorry I am to hear of Frank's trouble. I wish you might have told us sooner - perhaps there's nothing we can do, but at least we could have prayed and listened.

I hope so sincerely that Frank may have a real comeback to his old self. It sounds like you have the very best of medical help. Have faith and hope, and trust. Remember, the Lord only ask those to carry a cross whom he knows will be strong enought to carry it. I'm sure you've been told, "Take each day as it comes." The hour is always darker before the dawn.

You're so smart to go back to school. Even if you don't have or want to go back to work, you will have the peace of mind in knowing that you are trained for a well-paying job that you can step into at any time.

I'm sure you're grateful for the Durands being with you. The children will have that extra leaning post while you're busy. And if things work out that change, if location is desirable, I hope you'll consider the Northwest. You know both Betty and I would be happy to have you and your family nearby.

I haven't written you in a long time either. Althought it seems trite, I'll try and catch you up on news from here.

Bob is still working for the N.P. Railroad. This Spring he was transferred to the Seattle office. It was a promotion, so we can't complain, but it means driving back and forth 30 miles each way. The children won't hear of moving, and since real estate is higher over there it's hardly feasible. Bob doesn't mind driving - and sometimes he has riders which help defray expenses.

I'm still working at PLC as a baker. The boarding students now number over 800 - three meals a day. I have one helper and we put out all desserts and breads - also the "prepared mixes" used by the cooks. We do not make all of the bread, but usually put out one homemade bread a day - rolls, biscuits, variety yeast bread, or quick bread. In addition, we cater to a lot of campus activities. Fancy cakes, decorated cakes - that sort of thing for receptions and teas.

I go to work in the morning with Bob - that's 5:30 A.M. now - used to be 7:15 when he worked in town. The kids have to get themselves ready for school - that's the only bad part, but I'm usually home by 2:00 or 2:30 - so I'm here when they come home. I don't work very much in the Summer; just a few dys here and there for conventions.

This summer my project is finishing the East bedroom upstairs - the one where we kept Bob's tools when you were here. I have a carpenter coming next week to do part of the work, but I plan to do quite a bit myself. Bob is working on an outdoor fireplace for the patio, so I don't want to distract him. Besides he really has very little time, and on top of that, he's not very ambitious.

This summer Roxy and I are trying to learn to drive. I've been "learning" for three years or so, but haven't  gone over to take my license test. In Washington, a student driver may get a "learner's permit" for 50 cents which is good for 60 days. I've put more money into permits that I like to admit. A student is allowed to operate a car with a licensed driver in the car - and no one else. Last summer we bought a 1950 Chevrolet, but we still have the old '41 black Chev. that we had when you were here. If Roxy and I can learn to drive, at least we'd have transportation.

Roxy hasn't been very well the past year. Her trouble is a sense of too much responsibility and too much conscience - trying to be too much to too many people. Being the oldest, we always expected a lot of her - and at school and church and in music circle, at 4-H it was the same. She is a natural leader with a lot of talent. She is fast, efficient, and dependable, and expects perfection from herself. She has an extremely high I.Q. - and rated 17th grade (past college) on one test. Only last year one of her teachers whome I didn't know, looked me up specially to say that Roxy was the happiest, and best adjusted child she had ever known. Now, she is often moody, and inclined to go around with a chip on her sholder. Having worried over this problem the past year, I can easily understand your more serious trouble with Frank.

Melody is picking raspberries this summer. She makes an average of $1.50 a day. Not much, but life is just one big social whirl to Melody, and this keeps her busy. She will be going into the ninth grade this fall. She is taller than either Roxy or I. She's very pretty, but right now has one of those "fad" urchin-type haricuts that looks like heck. She's very popular with both boys and girls, and gets more phone calls in a day than all the rest of the family put together.

Jill, Mark, and Jacque have been at camp (Lutherwood) this week, but are coming home today. Jill is as tall as I am now. She and Mark both play the piano. Not well, but loud. Jacque took lessons, but says she's too lazy to learn notes, and just wnts to play dolls and read and listen to other people play the piano.

I'm planning on going over to see Elin in a couple of weeks. Also down to see Betty one day soon.

I must go - Roxy has two friends staying overnight. They're up now, and I have to go fix breakfast, then get to the work done before the little kids come home this afternoon.

Keep your chin up, Marie. And do write. We are interested in you.

Love,
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment