Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Where I Could Receive Fare Wages


Lincoln, Nebr.
Sept. 23, 1956

Dear Marie -

I have been waiting to hear from you. But I wish to send you the 2 letters enclosed so I will write a few lines.

I wrote to Lottie and answered her letter. I wish to keep matters straight so I will repeat to you what is so important to me.

That being Lottie is working at the college couldn't she see if I couldn't get work there washing dishes and doing some cleaning the same as I am doing here? And if not, that if she wrote the social worker to please find a place for me where I wouldn't need to work such long hours where I could receive fare wages and attend church on Sunadys. I haven't heard from Martin. I wrote another letter to one of the company's in New York. Marie if we hear from the company's he works for or from Martin we could let him know that we would like to have him come out to Phoenix, Arizona.

Marie it would perhaps be some time before there would be any letter from Martin or the company as you can very well imagine. Now I was going to suggest that I come out there with-out Martin and he can come later if Martin don't come here.

I wish to talk to the superintendent and hope that I can some time next month. I will let your father know about what time so that he can take me there. Just at present the superintendent isn't out at the Lincoln hospital.

Now if I don't hear from Lottie during next month or anything from Martin or New York and I don't get a different place to work I surely want to come out to Phoenix. Is that all right?

I sent you the superintendent's address. Did you write to him? Did you get the letter from the social worker?

As I have said I want to go to Omaha from here as I wish to visit a few places. I wish to go and visit and see my aunt Addie. You can read Garfield's letter and see why.

I wish you would write to the company Martin works for. Here is the address -

The National Maritime Union,
346 West 17th Street
New York 11, New York

Please write that it so long since you have seen your brother and that you would like to have him come out and see you. And please have him come this way to Lincoln and bring me with him to Phoenix. You see some one could talk to Martin and explain details. And see that he has the money to travel with. Because your father says Martin isn't very good at taking care of his money. I must help him with taking care of this earnings. And wish you could help Martin also.

I will call you some time next month and please say that I can come as I have tried my best to explain matters to you.

Hope you answer this letter as you haven't answered my other letter.

And please read over my letters as you write. And thanking you very much in advance Marie.

Best wishes.

I am,
Your
Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment