Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"My guardian was the man to see"



Lincoln, Nebr.
Jan 15, 1954

Dear Marie -

I received the pretty birthday card, letter and the $1.00 enclosed. Thank you dear very much and I appreciate what you sent.

Perhaps you have hear from Betty since you wrote. And excuse me if I repeat anything which you may already have heard. I was so glad to talk to Betty over the telephone and I could hear her so plain. Also her boy talked to me. Betty said she would pay for the telephone call and call it a birthday present from her. Wasn't that lovely of her?

Now I wrote and asked Betty in my letter what I would ask her over the telephone. One question was - "That I may go and see my guardian in Omaha, that it is all right with you. Thank you dear very much."

Now Marie I asked Betty to give her consent. But she said she would write to you about it which I hope she has done by now You see it is necessary. I told Betty how I had not heard from Martin and I wish to go out West and find him. Betty said that he docks in San Francisco. So I better go out there Marie. Don't you think so?

I am going to see about the Social Security card this week. When you filled out your card (which I suppose you did) did you write my middle name? It is Edith.

Yes it certainly was interesting about that Swedish lady. I wish I could talk to her again. She had lived in Chicago she said. I received a card from my cousin in Chicago and she also wrote. So I read some to this Swedish lady what my cousin had written about Chicago.

I am going to send you a few things soon. I was down to the city yesterday and I bought some apron material for you.

I have not been to the eye Dr. yet. I wish to go see a Dr.

Now Betty seemed to think that you would know what I have written about giving me permission to go to Omaha. I wish to go as soon as possible. And I can't tell you how anxious I am about Martin. I have marked  this way so you can be reminded again. And please say I may go on the train or bus by my-self. Perhaps I can return the same day. Oh I shall be so thankful to you Marie for helping me. And now please write with-in 3 days dear. You see it takes 3 days or more for a letter from you to get here. Thank you Marie for writing that you were thinking of me espeically the day of my birthday. And you were prompt to answer. I shall try to remember to pray that you will grant my wishes in your letter to me. The main wish to write that it is all right with you that I may go and see my guardian in Omaha. Last summer when I talked to your father I said that I wanted to talk to my guardian and see him. Your father said "my guardian was the man to see". I have waited so long and I have been as patient as a mother can be.

I am sending this special delivery as I consider this an important letter.

I will now close. Excuse any un-neatness.

I remain,
Your Mother.

address: 1149 South 17th Street, Lincoln Nebraska

No comments:

Post a Comment