Sunday, March 28, 2010

On the Corn King Limited

Sat nite

My dearest wife

It is nearly time to retire for the night. The club car is full and the radio is blaring "news bulletins". No one seesm to be paying much attention to the announcer's plear to "stand by for further developments." It's getting rather stable - an old story.

This is the first time I've even tried to write a letter on a rolling, jerking train - and with a pen that scratches and screeches. Really, my pet, I must be truly in love with you to battle such formidable odds just to write a letter.

I forgot to telegram you before leaving, to call Jean in case you are out of money. Don't believe you will, but if you do - call her. In case you haven't already guessed - the fine spot represents all we have to keep the wolf from the door - take care of it.

The car is not as full now. The lady who is trying to read this over my shoulder is talking vaguely of retiring. I suppose I should wish her pleasant dreams. So far she hasn't been able to read any of this letter. Should I ask her to censor it for me? Don't believe it would be a good idea. She might resent it. So you get your mail that's read by prying eyes? Isn't that thing but fool of me? I think so, too!

It's later, and we must get up at 6:00 tomorrow. We are going to have breakfast on the train. I'll be thinking of you, and "cussing" the chef if it isn't cooked the right way.

Good night, sweet. Take good care of your self, and remember - I still love you more every day.

Bob

Good morning!

Just checked in - Room 2508 - on the top floor. Way up here!

Had breakfast on the train after being jerked around all night. Slept well, tho!

No news - so will go down now and try to create some.

More later

Love Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment