Thursday, August 29, 2013

I Feel Like An Old Beer Horse



October 16, 1946

Dear Marie,

Sorry to be so long in answering  just one of those cases where "tomorrow" would be a better day to write.

Thank you so much for the box of things you sent. Your black dress has been worn and worn. It is certainly comfortable and flattering.

Thank you too, so very much, for your very kind offer to come and help when the baby arrives. I especially realize how inconvenient a time it would be - Thanksgiving to pre-Christmas - such a busy season in the church. However, things seem to look like they're shaping up. Good old Betts still says she's coming up. Her doctor OK'd the idea if she were to come as "supervisor" but not to work too hard. I have a woman lined up (not absolutely definite) to come in to do the washing, possibly ironing and cleaning. Also Bob and Martin will have to assume some evening responsibility with dinner, dishes, and bedding down the small fry. And, after all, I'm not helpless. By the time you have three babies, one learns to take things much more in stride.

As usual, i have lots to do before I go to the hospital. Right now I'm making Roxanne a coat. I still have pajamas to make for everyone, some dresses to make for the baby, and sewing for the Bazaar.

Now to look over your letter - Thank you so much for your very kind offer to get shirts and nighties. I have already bought shirts, and it will have an assortment of half-worn nighties, but possibly one new one wouldn't be a bad idea. Third babies are strictly utility, you know.

Thank you for the salt and pepper shears. They're darling!

Marty was in Portland a week. I went down with the kids last month for a week too. Marty does have a good winter coat.

Just a trace of alburmen (?). I feel like an old beer horse.

Write when you can.

Love, L.




No comments:

Post a Comment