Saturday, August 13, 2011

Martin is still here, and is the main reason for this letter


Monday
January 28, 1952

Dear Marie & Frank -

Just a few lines this time - I am probably the world's worst correspondent and even a short letter is an effort for me.

Arrived home last Tuesday night from Omaha, where I had a fine visit with my sister Jean, and Melvin, my brother who lives in Falls City.

The trip was supposed to last two weeks, but stretched to seven - and in the process I acquired a nice set of upper teeth. Seems the old ones were worn out - absessed and dangerous to keep. Am also on a rigid diet - must get weight down under 170 - but quick! The doctor set a 90 day deadline to accomplish this.

Found everything well in Omaha, but while I was there Pop fell and cracked some ribs. He was off work a week, but was back on the job when I left, and getting along okay. He and Dora have a comfortable house, and are happy, but the years are taking their toll, and Pop will not be able to work too many more years.

We (Pop, Dora & I) went down to see your mother one afternoon, and had quite a visit. She is in good health, but still obsessed with the idea of getting outside again. She is now hoping for Garfield to assume the responsibility of her guardianship!

Martin is still here, and is the main reason for this letter. It is utterly out of the question for him to stay here any longer, for a variety of reasons. I found one job for him working in the woods, but that is gone now - the two fellows for whom he worked finished and left. He is working today for a friend of mine but only for one day. He (Martin) talks of getting a job, but will do nothing about it, and I cannot spend my time looking for work for both of us. Still shows no initiative, and must be watched constantly or he sits down. That's all - sits.

While I was gone he "helped" Charlotte - in doing dishes he shattered, chipped or cracked every piece in a dinnerware service for eight, besides cereal bowls, glasses, pitchers, etc. But enough of this. It does no good to rehash what is done.

My problem now is his disposition. The unknown trying part of which I am adjustment (?) can furnish him transportation to his "home" - and the only question is where to send him. There are no jobs in this part of the country. Right now over 1700 carpenters alone out of an union are looking for work - other trades are in the same condition, and with several thousand skilled men looking for jobs and untrained youth has no chance at all. I talked at length with Dora and Pop about this problem. Dora cried and begged me not to send him to Omaha, for Lars' sake. They both believe that if he comes back there he will get to running with the same friends he had before, and end up in jail or the penitentiary. Also, while he was there he sold his clothes for spending money, took every cent he could wheedle out of Lars, and still owes Dora money he borrowed from her. He left Omaha wtih a lot of new clothes, sold them en route, and showed here here broke, in borrowed rags, lousy and filthy. I have tried to talk to him, impressing him with the necessaity of supporting himself - but he just says "okay" - then sits down to read a comic and smoke many of my cigareets.

If you have any concrete suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you at once. I have exhuasted my limited patience, and have determined that he will be gone from here by the end of this week. If he or no one else comes up with any specific destination, it will be necessary for me to just turn him loose on the highway. We have bought clothes for him, both wok and dress, and I'll provide an army-type bag to carry them in, and $5 to feed himself as long as he can.

You may, and probably will, condemn me as un-charitable and un-Christian, but the peace and welfare of my household dictates my position

I trust and pray this letter finds you and your family in good health and spirit. Belated thanks to you also for the Christmas gift. The pipe rack is beautiful and useful, and occupies a space of honor in our living room and in my heart.

Sincere regards -
Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment