Sunday, April 17, 2011

I was the only one in my English class to get a "1"

Omaha, Nebraska
Sept. 22, 1936

Dear Marie,

I suppose you're rather surprised to hear from me now, since you just got one of my letters. You see, I just felt like writing, so I thought I'd write to you.

I went down to the "Y" last night for a fashion show put on my Brandies French Room. They really should call that department the economy section, for they had a lot of dresses reasonably prices at $95. Refreshments were served free. Beth (Campbell, Camel) played three numbers on the violin. She looked very nice in a streaming red formal.

I saw Virginia Koopman, and you ought to hear her apologize for neglecting her correspondences so long. She promised to write me one of these days and she even got some new stationary for the occasion. She said that her cousin had rented a cabin right next to yours in Minnesota. In describing you to her (she, he) said, "Her last name was Jensen, she had blonde hair, and looked and acted just like a boy." Was this cousin a girl or boy?

I also saw Ruth Eckman Harriett Wren and Johnson, Rhea Snyder, and Doris Smith. I think that's her name (the girl Erman runs aound with).

The presidents and vice presidents had a meeting in Main Library this morning to select nominees for Student Council. Jean Edwardson, and myself were chosen for the girls with Barbara Garrett acting as alternate in case Jean or I have poor grades or something. I really think Jean will get it because she is quite popular and peppy. She is that lame girl you know. Ben Miller, Thomas Janda, and Alvin Terry were selected from the boys. I know Thomas and Terry so I hope they don't get it, even if Alvin nominated me. I think Ben would be better.

Last night I walked home from school with Alvin Terry. I had more fun! You see, he is in love and you sure can tell it - in fact he's engaged - to some girl from North by the name of Betty Jensen. Honestly, I got the biggest kick hearing him rave about his girl friend. He even has given her an engagement ring and  paid cash for it - $21.50. She has even persuaded him to go to church and save his money, so it must be love. He raves about her like Lil does about Wayne.

By the way, I was the only one in my English class to get a "1" for the first two week's work. So there, now tell me my composition on Camp wasn't good!

Well, guess I'll close and hope you don't mind two letters in a row cause if you're any relation to me you wouldn't mind any number of letters in a row.

Love,
Lottie

P.S. Sara Kolnick says, Hello. She sold 7 tons of cool yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment