Monday, April 18, 2011

Almost have a girlish figure now.


18 Dec 1944

Dear Marie & Frank

Just finished a short note to Bets - received a Christmas card from her today - the first word since she married! Of course she has written L.

Says she is working four hours per day - good news for the doctor wouldn't allow her to work at all if it were not safe.

We finish training here this week, and I'll have a new address very soon. In fact, my month furlough is supposed to start next Friday or Saturday, so there is a chance I may be home sometime Christmas Day!

After ten days at home, only the Lord knows what or where! At any rate my address will change - I'll let you know when I can just what it will be.

Ruthie must be growing up to be talking and everything! L wrote that Roxanne can carry on a conversation of sorts now - and even Mel is getting so she laughs aloud when she's pleased with the world! What a whale of a change just a few short months can bring about in children.

Saturday (day before yesterday) we returned to camp after two weeks work in the field. While running over those d--- hills I lost another eight pounds. Honest, I've lost over 30 lbs since coming into the army! Almost have a girlish figure now.

From the schedule of work Frank briefed me in his letter, you folks much really be busy. Be careful - enough is enough. Don't think you can gain by doing too much work - you end up loser.

There's no letter to write about that letter writing is a chore - I hope you will consider this when you letter becomes too boring. All my work here is uninteresting to anyone not familiar with it, and no doubt L keeps you well posted on doings at Tacoma.

I will take this opportunity, tho, to wish you all the Merriest Christmas ever - and may the year to come be prosperous and joyous.

Sincerely
Bob

Posted from Camp Roberts, California

No comments:

Post a Comment