Thursday, February 10, 2011

Today is mid-summer's day


Omaha, Nebr
June 21, 1946

Marie -

I received your letter yesterday and I was glad to hear from  you. I suppose by the time you were through packing you were very tired. You didn't mention in your letter what day you left Chicago. I suppose you can notice if the air is fresher there than in Chicago. Especially after the rain one can notice how clean the air seems. We have had rain here also and the roses down at Neff's are very pretty. You know how nice their yard is in the summer time. That reminds me that today is mid-summer's day which means that it is the longest day in the year. In some foreign countries they have quite a celebration on the 21st of June.

Marie I think that will be a good idea if you will come sooner than the Durands and we can visit and talk things over. Then you can take the train and let me know in plenty of time so I can meet you. There was an article in the paper about Frank and I will let you see it when you come as I saved it.

Have you heard from your sisters lately?

I hope you have your pictures along with you.

I suppose this is the first time you have met Frank's aunt. Is there a lake close by?

I hope Marie you will come now by train ahead of the others and please Marie come as soon as possible and I hope you are rested by the time this letter reaches you. Marie I was thinking that it would be better to take a train that arrives in Omaha in the afternoon. So I think that when you receive this letter plan ahead what day you are going to leave and then write and let me know what time the train will be in Omaha. I would rather you come on the train that arrives in the afternoon and if not in the afternoon why in the evening will be all right too. So here is hoping you have the best of arrangements about your trip.

I must close now and walk down to the corner and mail this.

So good-by until I see you in person.

As ever, I am,
Your Mother.

P.S. Your father received a shirt from Betty for father's day, also card.

No comments:

Post a Comment