Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I am still in the dark


May 21, 1942

Dear Mason Street Family,

It was good to hear from you again - and just think I'm answering only two weeks later. Quite a record for the Jensen family.

Your proposed schedule for coming out sounds find. It will be convenient to us and if it is to you too, that's swell. By the way, what is the arrangement for Martin for the summer? Are Marie and Frank going to be in Omaha?

Jean wrote that she had seen Marie one noon hour. Said Marie promised to call her and have lunch together sometime. Have you had an opportunity to get together yet?

Mom wrote that Pop has changed jobs and is now working for the Omaha Bakery. How come? And since when?

By the way, what happened to all the branches of the Parrish family when they moved out. I hadn't even known Mr. Parrish had died.

That's pretty good about Frank's brother getting married. Marie and Frank should be right in their glory and make the most of the situation.

Now I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or seem ungrateful, but frankly, I don't think much of the names Lobert and Bertie. I still think Hepsibah is much nicer. Incidentally, we still aren't decided on a name.

I sent a little polo shirt for Martin's birthday. Let me know if it came all right. I am now working on his others.

Our friend, Mrs. Kitchen was sick in bed for two weeks, so Bob and I moved over and kept house while she was incapacitated. They have two little kids and Meade (Captain Kitchen) was not home. He just arrived Saturday after three months at Fort Knox. Evelyn is all well now and we came home Friday. I had Martin's present all wrapped and ready to mail over there, but no address. That accounts for his birthday gift being late - I had to wait until we got home to look up 3151.

Mom wrote that she disapproves of your coming out. I hope you can iron out this difficulty. Knowing how set of mind she can be, I know that is not easy. She gave us no reasons for not wanting you to come, so I am still in the dark as to why. I wrote her this morning, and did my best to win her over. We are still expecting you, but if there should be any change, let me know as soon as possible.

By the way did I tell you I got a new watch for our anniversary? And did I thank you for your sweet telegram? I meant to, of course, for it was certainly nice of you.

Anyway Betty - hope to see you the middle of June sometime.

Love,
Bob & Lottie

No comments:

Post a Comment