Thursday, January 20, 2011

my friend, Charlotte Jensen

Sometimes you come across an item that takes your breath away.

Lottie...Charlotte...here's the story...

Blair, Nebr.
January 28 (early 1930s)

Dear Marie,

It is now exactly 9:12 P.M. and I have just returned from Fremont where I debated in the Midland debates. My colleague was Clark O'Hanlon.

There were five of us that started out at noon today. Clark O'Hanlon, Paul Pederson, Bob Hunt, Mr. Allison, the coach, and myself. Going there I sat in the back seat between Bob and Paul. I really had a grand time because everyone was so nice to me. In fact, I didn't take off or put on my own coat once, didn't open one door for myself and only once did I turn on the faucet myself when I got a drink. Honestly those guys are so polite!

Clark and I debated three times today. I suppose we lost all of them, but of course we won't know until tomorrow. (Two times on the Affirmative and once on the Negative.) We met teams from Geneva, Wayne and North high. There are teams from Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Kansas represented at the tournament.

Garf just came in and brought the Blair Tribune which bore the accompanying article on the front page in this position. I was very shocked indeed. Marjorie Wheatley didn't go because she went to Omaha yesterday morning and didn't come back. Some kids say she got married. If she did it was probably to Kenneth Hatfield because she told me she was going steady with him. He went to Mason and Tech if you recall. If she doesn't debate anymore, it looks as if I am going to be the only girl in the whole debate forum. In Fremont we ate at the swellest joint! Modernistic and service plus! Everyone paid for his own order and then when the tournament is over, the school refunds 35 cents for each meal. Tomorrow night is the banquet, and the school already has bought the tickets. Sure is too bad about Dick Makee, he got an appendicitus attack and the last report stated that he was getting worse. He reminds me a lot of John McAndrews and he sure has a way with the girls.

Clark O'Hanlon is 6 ft tall and weighs about 175 or 200 pounds. He is a nice boy; very polite and lots of fun. Bob Hunt, along with Clark is pretty rich. He's nice too. Paul Pederson is good looking. I met him only last Tuesday and he asked to take me to a party held at church. I went with him Tuesday night and had a grand time.

The boys don't like the name "Lottie" so they thought up a new name for me. Clark's favorite name is Jeanette and Bob's is Ruth. Anyways they ended up by calling me Carlotta from the on. When Paul introduced me to his parents, he said, "- my friend, Charlotte Jensen. - "

I saw Roseanne and Bob Mills at Midland but I don't believe they saw me. That was my only disappointment because their seeing me there would have been the acme of my glory.

Anyway, I had a perfect time and came home safe and sound. Clark wanted to sit in the back seat coming home so I really kept warm sitting between he and Bob who took up 9/10 of the room.

Thanks for the heart-sister stuff!

Love,
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment