Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Too Much Sweets Heats The Blood

Oakland, Nebr.
May 4, 1941

Marie -

I received your letter and was glad to hear from you. Glad to know you are all well and hope this letter finds you all well and happy. Thank you so much for the money and to be sure it was appreciated.

I see by your letter you are very busy. But please don't do any more work than your health permits.

Did you read my last letter over as you wrote your letter to me? I haven't had any answer to my last letter from Betty. I wish she would write as I like to hear from her also.

Yes I wish you would send me a picture of your-self. That was nice of you to send Elin a picture also. We have not heard from her since we sent her some things for her birthday. I had her wrist watch fixed and it cost $1.00. Did you send Elin any-thing else besides your picture?

Was Garfield down for a visit not very long ago? He wrote that he was down to Omaha to pay part of the taxes.

My mother's apple tree has been blooming now and surely looks pretty. The cherry trees it seems are dead or badly crippled. I have transplanted some lillies and violets. When you come up some times I'll show you them and explain more about the details.

May 5th

As I didn't finish this letter last night I'll finish to-day. I am a little tired but I hope we will have some sunshine soon.

Some-times one hears or reads about this being a man's world but when I told my mother this she answered that this was God's world. For what would we do with-out the sunshine or with-out light in the world.

You know of-coarse that next Sunday is Mother's day. Just in case you intended to send me something do you mind what I wish you would send me most of all? Well it is money. Perhaps your father would decide to give something would you please ask him to give you the money and you sent it to me? Because I need a pair of shoes very much. I have had the same pair for years that you bought for me one Christmas. They are really a half size too small also.

Do you intend to have a little party for Martin on his birthday? If you do don't serve very much sweets for too much sweets heats the blood.

I am enclosing a clipping of about a man whom I know when a child. He attented school when I did and was in the same room as I was. This clipping is from the Omaha paper and I am gong to save the article about him in the Oakland paper. He had traveled abroad and yet he did not care for girls or never married. He has 2 sisters and 1 brother and an aged father to mourn his passing. And what's more he left an estate of $50,000. So you see there is money in an education.

I hope you will welcome these little violets and the apple blossoms are from the tree in this yard. I pressed them in my dictionary. I picked the violets too in the yard.

Have you heard from Lottie recently? It is her turn to write to me.

My mother is quite well and tries to do what work she is able to do. David is getting along all right, in the hospital.

Write soon and answer questions. I have asked when you write. Please excuse pensil and poor writing. I am glad you write so well on the type-writer and don't hurry so that you make mistakes. Haste makes waste my teacher used to say when I went to school.

So good-by for this time. As ever, I am,
Your Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment