Saturday, January 30, 2010

"You know how he will talk sometimes just to show off"


Omaha, Nebr.
March 24, 1944

Marie -

I received your letter dated Feb. 20th in the green envelope with part of the apron pattern. Then the other letter was dated Feb. 23rd and I received them at the same time as I did the doughnuts. Also received the 2 postal cards and thank you for all. Also received the letter mailed March 20th and I thought I would explain before I start to write to you. That way you know, and I should have written and answered sooner. Pardon me please.

I washed all my dishes this evening and now I am rather tired. I began reading a story last night, and it was interesting. I didn't finish and I hope that I will be able to read after I have finished this letter.

Oh many thanks for the apron and it fits me very well. Did you buy the material that is in the front of the apron? I mean the white part.

I went to the Creighton the 4th of Feb. and I was told that I could have a X-Ray taken. So I went down then on the 8th of Feb. Then I was to return and hear how my condition was Feb. 25th and Miss Larson told me that now I was well enough to be out of the hospital. I received some assistance from the family welfare and now I receive $2.50 for a week for food. The lady at the County assistance wanted your address as well as Elin and Lottie's. I tryed to answer the many questions I am asked to the best of my knowledge. Some times I wish I could have more time to think about the answers. It seems a person has no privacy and I hear that in the moving pictures as well. It seems to me that when I was growing up if people would have asked such personal questions they would have been considered rude. I think I am still some what nervous after living with your father for so many years. You know how he will talk sometimes just to show off and answer sometimes with out scarcely thinking whether or not it is the best answer.

I suppose you received the letter that I wrote for him to you. But really I don't agree with all that I wrote.

I haven't received any picture yet. I wrote to Lottie and asked her if she would please have the picture insured when she send it or else have a return care made out. That way I will need to sign for the picture. Then if I am not here the mailman can bring it back to the Post Office and I can call for it. I have wanted months for the picture. It is a pity that you couldn't get them before you left Yakima Washington. Don't you think so too?

I saw the moving picture "True to Life" and I like to see Dick Powell. Wasn't it funny when Moore who was the air raid warden told T. Tone he could lie down in the gutter? No I certainly don't like war pictures. It seems to me if they had shown some pictures I have been recently during the last war, people would have stood up and walked out. A week ago last Sunday I was to a moving picture show and saw "Don Ameche" in "Happy Land". It was real good. In the picture the actor has a son who goes in the service. Later he receives a telegram saying regret to inform you and the rest. He grieves very much for his son and then a minister comes to see him. The minister say that "pain and suffering are a part of all of us."

I think it would be a good idea to sew that chroched lace on some pillow cases and that way you can better keep track of them.

Thank you so much for the dime for the paper.

I asked Betty if she didn't miss that magazine you know that Mrs. Hollister had sent her for a Christmas present. Betty said "kind of" because you know it is a very good magazine. I don't suppose you could send her any of the back numbers since Jan, 1944. There was a continued story in the Dec. issue and I sure wish I had it. But you can let me know about it. Thank you.

I am so glad that you intend to come to Omaha. I can assure you that I am looking forward toward the time. Think of it I have lived alone for over 2 years taking care of my-self. I didn't think that was the way it would turn out when I returned to Omaha from Oakland. I don't want to think about it. Don't you think I have saved Douglas County and the State of Nebraska money by taking care of my-self? I feel now like I would like a nice long rest. Rest "Sweet happy rest, Jesus will give you a rest" goes these lines in a song. I wish you could come as soon as you possibly can. Please. I hope that you don't have to hurry the way you did when you moved to Yakima. Try and plan to pack early what-ever you can.

That was very kind of you to send some doughnuts to my mother and I wish you thank you. I don't know if I thank you for the stamp picture. It has a good place I think and no doubt you will agree with me when you see it when you come to Omaha.

I have read your letter over and answered I think all questions. Now I will answer the last letter I received a few days ago. You dated the letter March 13th and did you sit down and write after you arrived home? Yes indeed it was a eventful day that you really did go and see my cousins. I can hardly realize it. Yes I surely wanted to hear all about your visit. That was nice how Anna spoke about her mother weren't you impressed by it? I knew that the late Mrs. Swanson's children were devoted to her. It was nice of Anna to explain things to you wasn't it? I should have been there with you but here I am indisposed. You know I have never seen any relatives on my mother's side in person. I am so glad that Anna was at home when you came. When I read the part where you wrote that all were very hospitable I could hardly keep back the tears. Yes I will let Betty read the letter. I am sure my mother will be pleased to hear from you about the visit.

Yes I heard the good news that Betty can go out and she is looking forward toward the time. And as the time draws nearer you should plan for her. It has certainly been nice of Mr. Durand to help Betty with her work. At first you know I thought it was going to be too hard for Betty to take that course. But it seems it has worked out all right. If you have any plans for her will you write about them and that way we can compare notes. It should help to know so far in advance. Marie I was thinking that if you wish to send my mother something I would let you know what it is. Because it is something she needs and would be wonderful if you would be so kind to try and buy it and send to her. It is a little clock for the kitchen and I think she would like the numbers big. If you do buy one for her it would be best to have the clock insured. Did my mother send you a rug when you lived on Davenport Street? Please answer me about the clock.

When you write to Lottie please ask her to write to me. Also to let me know if she received the box I sent with some things. Mrs. Bergquist gave me a pair of over-shoes that had been Jackie's. I had them fixed cost 50 cents. I thought Martin could wear them untill he can get a new pair. I want him to wear overshoes when it is necessary.

Oh yes I almost forgot to write and thank Frank for the $1.00 he left over at your father's house. That was thoughtful of him.

Saturday afternoon
As I didn't finish this letter last night I will add a few more lines. To-day is a sunny day and I feel better when the sun is out. I have been to the oil station and bought a half gallon of kerosene. Oh I don't mean to complain but I wish I had gas instead. But then that would cost money. I was reading a story and an old lady said in part "God made the land. God did not make money."

I returned to Omaha from Oakland Sept 24th 1941. Don't you think it is remarkable how I have taken care of my-self since then which is 2 1/2 years ago? And during that time I haven't received any County assistance untill now last month from the family welfare. I received the 2 last orders from the County assistance. Oh how I wish I had never lived all those year in Omaha. I regret it more than I can express in words.

I hope you can go to visit my cousins again before you leave Chicago. I wish you could ask them all to come over to your house and visit with you in the near future. How about setting a day when your baby's birthday is? That way you could look forward toward the time and plan.

When Lottie's baby was a year old they took the baby's picture and she was sitting in her high chair opposite her birthday cake.

Your father wanted me to write and let you know that when he sent the last money order, he had written a letter, and be forgot to enclose the letter. Instead he left the letter at the post-office.

Please write soon.
Good-by,
As ever,
Your Mother.

P.S. I was thinking whether you and Frank have a good Kodak now. Now if my cousins come over could you please have some films? And take a picture and send to me? Don't stand too far only about 6 ft. from the person or persons whose picture you are taking. Thank you.

As soon as you receive this letter would you kindly send me a card saying you have received it. Then you can write a letter later.

Thursday evening.
Marie -

I hope you received my letter. I was out to see Betty Sunday evening. She was wearing the blue bed room slippers you had sent. She seemed very pleased about them.

Marie I was going to ask you if you could buy a letter opener for Betty. You know they are long something like a nail file. She needs one and if you can't buy any could you get the next thing similar to open letters. Thank you.

Write soon.
From, Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment