Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"P.S. I will carry a pocket-book with only a few cents in it."



There's just so much here, I'm a bit speechless. And we think we can say what we need to say in 140 characters on Twitter.


Omaha, Nebr.,
July 21, 1943.

Marie -

I received your letter dated June 23rd and was glad to hear from you. Thank you for explaining about the different matters.

Are you taking a good rest this summer? Do you have any extra work besides your house-work? I hope not. How is the baby? When you write please speak of her as my baby not by name. I was reading an article that in England they consider a child a war baby untill they are 3 1/2 years. 3 1/2 old I think it was. And they take such good care of the children over there.

What do you think made you sick? I hope this trip will benefit you all. Try and rest as much as possible. I think Mrs. Holaster could have been there before you moved instead of going to visit her mother. After all she didn't take her little boy back to Omaha. I thought you were nervous and trying to undertake too big a task. It seems to me you are always going at too fast a speed.

Have you heard any-thing from Mrs. H or Virginia since you went out to Washington?

I was out to see Betty Sunday evening. It is so hard to visit with her with the radio in the room going and the other patients' company there. Betty said she had had a letter from you but Betty didn't read your letter to me. Betty I think is dis-satisfyed with her stay at the hospital. She seems nervous and no wonder not being alowed to go out and draw a breath of fresh air. You know I wish she could be released before long. She has been at the hospital a year in September. Couldn't you write a letter to Dr. Allen and tell him to please let Betty be up on longer exercise. The food has not improved and there was little food served her Sunday evening. Please answer me about this because it seems important to me. I don't think you had better mention anything about me writing about her. That won't help any.

I am glad you had a nice visit at Lottie's house. I didn't know that Martin was going to stay this long with Lottie. Being your father sent the money to you for him you can give Lottie some money if she takes any. But you can talk that over between your-selfs.

Your father went along with me to buy a new pair of shoes. We went to Penny's. I liked the first pair I picked out. Well when we got out in the car I tryed them on and they were not the same pair of shoes. I could tell and this is a fact. So I brought them back and I got the money. Now I suppose you are going to be furious because I haven't bought the shoes at some other store. Well we bought the stockings down stairs at Penny's. And now I needed the money for food because your father says he can't give me any money because he has to pay so much taxes. Last week he gave me 45 cents and this week nothing. Oh I could scream.

I suppose there is no use asking you to send me any money.

I had a letter from Elin not long ago. She wrote they may have to move before school starts because there isn't any school where they live. I hope she will come here and please talk about this and explain every-thing to her. It is important as you know we have gone into that so many times.

I will write to Elin before long but I hope that she will understand better when you tell her how things are. Tell her how she can use what furniture is here and I will fumigate the rooms. There is plenty of work and may-be I should send her a Sunday World-Herald. What do you think is the best plan?

I am feeling about the same. I don't have enough food to eat. My side is about the same.

I had a letter from Martin and I was glad to hear from him in person. I hope he trys and remember about the rules I wish for him to follow.

I surely wish you could send me a little money if possible. I didn't know I would face as many problems when I returned to Omaha. It will be 2 years in September since I returned to Omaha.

When do you plan to return to Omaha? I wish you could stay here a few days when you return so I could go and visit my mother. Please will you try and arrange it?

Oh I been thinking I would like to ask you about Betty's clothes. Why did you take them over to Charlie's instead of over to Durand's with the rest of the things? Where did you take her glass tray? Betty didn't know. I haven't been able to order a picture of Betty because I haven't had the money. Oh I suppose you don't care it just don't matter.

I think I better close for this time. I hope you write soon as possible.

Do you attend any picture shows? Try and start early enough with your packing when you are going to return so you don't get so exhausted. If you wish to bring me a gift may I suggest a bottle of jasmine perfume and tooth brush.

Thanking you in advance.
With  best wishes to all.
As ever, I am
Your Mother.


Thursday
P.S. I went for a little walk last night and thought I would stop at L.D. Swanson's sister's house. She is still living up on Poppleton St. She said Louis Swanson now lives out in Los Angeles, Calif. And that they have only one daughter and she is now 16 years of age. This daughter was born about the time we moved back here from the farm. So Betty must have been 2 yrs old then.

I hope you have luck about the visit to Elin and that she will come here. It is important. The lady who lives up-stairs is a young lady and they have 2 little girls. You might tell her that the lady told me she graduated from high school. I intend to go down town this afternoon and mail this. I will carry a pocket-book with only a few cents in it.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is the best letter so far. I thought I was goint to wet my pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...Priceless...There's something like 4-5 letters all rolled into one...

    ReplyDelete